Here at Sugarbreak, Cinco de Mayo is one of our favorite holidays. Not only does it give us the opportunity to celebrate the beautiful culture of Mexico, but as foodies it’s undoubtedly the most anticipated holiday of the year. Inspired by classic Mexican dishes, these low-carb, low-sugar recipes are loaded with flavor and flair—and will let you say “salud!” without stressing your blood sugar.
BBQ CHICKEN TACOS WITH COLESLAW
Serves 6 | 20 minutes
- 3/4 cups mayo
- 2 tablespoon RxSugar®
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 bags shredded red cabbage or 1 head manually shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 sweet onions sliced
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce or make your own adding RxSugar®
- Canola oil
- 4 boneless breast or thighs
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp RxSugar®
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground chili
- 1 tsp paprika
- Oil for cooking tortillas
1. Mix all the coleslaw ingredients together and let sit at least 15-20 minutes in fridge before service.
2. Season chicken, add to cast iron and cook. Let rest.
3. Sauté onions, add BBQ sauce once caramelized.
4. Plate by adding chicken and onions to warm tortillas.
5. Top with slaw.
VEGAN PULLED “PORK” TACOS
Serves 6 | 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups jackfruit, fresh or canned
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup vegan sugar free bbq sauce
- 6 low-carb tortillas of choice
- 5 cups coleslaw mix with red cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayo,
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- Start by draining and rinsing your jackfruit. If using jackfruit packed in brine, rinse it extra well.
- Next, chop off the hard inner core portions, if desired. Once finished separating, set aside prepared jackfruit.
- In a large skillet, warm a little olive oil, add a chopped small onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Next add the jackfruit, 1 cup of BBQ sauce and ½ cup of vegetable stock. Stir well, then simmer, covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and shred the jackfruit with two forks to create the pulled pork-like texture.
- Stir and turn the heat up to high. Cook on high heat for an additional 10 minutes, until it dries out somewhat and gets a little blackened in places.
- Add the vegan mayo, granulated sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and celery seed to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
- Add in the coleslaw mix and stir well. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving, if possible.
Assembling the pulled “pork” taco
- Scoop the pulled “pork” onto your low-carb tortilla of choice and top it off with vegan coleslaw.
NACHO AVERAGE QUESO DIP
Serves 4-6 | 5 minutes
- 1 bag of sweet potato tortilla chips
- 2 avocados (diced)
- 1 cup of tomatoes (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup sweet onion (diced)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 lime
- 1 container of Let Thy Foods Hatch Valley Queso or your favorite healthy queso
1. Mix the veggies and avocado in a bowl.
2. Add the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt and set aside.
3. Pour chips into a bowl and top with diced pepper, tomato, avocado, onion mixture and black beans.
4. Serve with queso on the side or drizzled on top.
OUR FAVORITE GUACAMOLE
Serves 4-6 | 5 minutes
- 4-5 ripe avocados, mashed
- 1/3 cup yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp or about 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped/minced
- 1/4 tsp cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lime
- Your favorite tortilla chips
1. In a medium bowl, split avocados and remove pit.
2. Remove avocado from skin, place in bowl, and mash avocados with a fork to mash.
3. Add garlic, onions, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Mix onion mix and tomatoes together.
5. Add a squeeze of lime if desired and mix again.
6. If desired, add a dash of Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce for some heat.
6. Serve with tortilla chips.
Serves 1 | 2-5 minutes
- 2 oz. anejo tequila (any brand is fine)
- 1 oz. triple sec 1 oz. poblano liqueur (We recommend Ancho Reyes Verde)
- Jalapeño pepper (to taste)
- Chili powder
- 1/4 cup RxSugar® simple syrup plus extra for rim dip
- Salt for rim
1. Shake the tequila, Triple Sec, poblano liqueur, ¼ cup RxSugar® simple syrup, and ice in a shaker or mixing glass.
2. Pour some RxSugar® Simple Syrup on one plate and the salt and chili powder on another plate.
3. Dip the rim of a glass into the simple syrup and then the salt mixture. Add jalapeño pepper slices to glass and fill with the tequila mix.
Holidays can be hard when you have to balance your blood sugar—especially when they’re based around food and drink that can affect your levels. But with Stabilize pre-meal capsules on hand, you can enjoy the fiesta without the carb coma, sugar spikes, or crashes. Salud!